The Vera R. Campbell Promise Scholarship supports undergraduate students attending higher education institutions in Los Angeles County, CA to participate in IFR field schools. Priority is given to first-generation college students with demonstrated financial need.
This scholarship provides:
- Direct financial support of up to $5,000 towards the cost of attending an IFR field school.
- One-on-one mentorship sessions with IFR Academic Board members and/or IFR staff before and after the field school.
- Complete the Vera Campbell Promise Scholarship application, including:
- Contact information for a recommender, preferably a faculty member, who can speak to your academic and personal fit for a field school experience. Please let your reference know that you are requesting their support.
- Unofficial transcript showing a GPA of 2.7 or higher.
- A copy of your 2023-24 or 2024-25 FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR). Please reach out to email@example.com if you do not have a recent FAFSA (SAR) but can provide other documentation demonstrating financial need.
- Complete answers to essay questions.
- Click here to see a preview of the application components.
- Apply to the IFR field school of your choice. Note that this is a separate application and you must be admitted to a field school to receive the scholarship. Field schools may fill before the scholarship decisions are made; therefore, please have at least one other field school in mind as a backup. IFR will waive the program application fee for scholarship applicants. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before submitting your application.
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must:
- Be an undergraduate student or recent graduate (2023 or 2024) at an accredited university or college in Los Angeles County.
- Be in good standing with a minimum GPA of 2.7.
- Be at least 18 years old by the first day of the field school program.
- Have demonstrated financial need.
- Be accepted into an IFR field school.
Students of any nationality or major may apply. Previous Vera Campbell Promise Scholarship recipients are not eligible.
The Vera Campbell Promise Scholarship offers up to $5,000 towards the cost of an IFR field school, including travel expenses. As a scholarship awardee, you may apply the scholarship to any IFR field school, in the US or internationally. You must be accepted into the field school and commit to attending. To receive and to retain the scholarship funds, you must participate and complete the field school as well as the additional scholarship requirements pre- and post-program as outlined in the agreement.
If you are awarded a Vera Campbell Promise Scholarship, you agree to:
- Participate fully in the entire field school.
- Attend pre-departure meetings and complete pre-departure assignments and materials.
- Participate in at least two mentorship sessions with an IFR mentor.
- Attend post-program meetings designed to help you leverage your field school experience.
- Create a short video about your field school experience and its impact (details will be provided).
- Write a blog entry to be published on IFR’s website.
- Submit 6-12 photos and/or short videos of your field school experience (details and specifications will be provided).
- Have your name, blog post, photos and video used by IFR for informational and promotional purposes.
- Participate in an in-person event in Los Angeles with the scholarship sponsor, to be held in the months following the completion of your field school.