Payment Deadline & Late Fee
My Payment: What is Covered
Tax Refunds & Use of 529 Funds
Important Notice: Deposit & Tuition Payments
PAYMENT DEADLINE & LATE FEE
Each field school has a tuition payment deadline noted under ‘Course Details’ on the top right corner of the program page. Students must complete the full tuition payment by that deadline to maintain their seat in the program and to avoid a late fee. A $100 late fee will be added to all accounts not paid in full by the tuition payment deadline.
If you have prior approval from IFR to pay by check (see Payment Methods section below), the postage date is the date by which we determine compliance with the payment deadline. Checks may arrive at the IFR office after the payment deadline; no late fee will be assessed on such payments as long as they are postmarked prior to or on the date of the payment deadline. In order to maintain your seat in the program, you must email IFR staff (at email@example.com) to inform them of your check payment (please include a scan of the check, including the check number) by the tuition payment deadline.
If a student has applied for financial aid with their home institution, they may avoid the late fee if they sign and send to the IFR the Financial Aid Agreement before the program payment deadline. Note that the Financial Aid agreement is a legal document committing the student to full payment for the program tuition regardless of student attendance.
WHAT YOUR TUITION COVERS
YOUR TUITION COVERS:
- Costs of instruction
- Costs of your room & board. In most field schools, your meals during the weekend are not covered but the cost of accommodations are. Look at the field school syllabus for details.
- Costs of your credit units and two transcripts
- Local Transportation. Some field schools will not cover travel expense from the airport to the site. Please refer to program syllabus for further details.
- For all international programs, the full costs of your Health, Political & Natural Disaster Evacuation and Accident Insurance
YOUR TUITION DOES NOT COVER:
- Costs of travel to- and from field school meeting point as described in the program syllabus
- Travel insurance for airline tickets or program cost *
- Costs of entry visa (if any) to the country in which the field school will take place
- Costs of immunizations or prescribed medication
- Personal expenses for items such as gifts to family & friends, phone calls, etc.
- For all programs in the US, the IFR cannot purchase short term health insurance on your behalf. Proof of health insurance is required.
IFR accepts all payments online through our application portal. All payments must be made in US Dollars.
- Credit/Debit Card Payment: The IFR accepts all major credit cards. A 3.5% Processing fee is automatically charged to all online transactions.
- ACH Direct Debit Transactions: We accept ACH Direct Debit Transactions, which incur an 0.8% processing fee, capped at $5.
If you have circumstances preventing you from paying online, please contact IFR staff at firstname.lastname@example.org to request prior approval to mail a check to our office.
- Check Payment: For IFR pre-approved check payments, we will email you a payment stub. You are required to fill out, print and include this payment stub with your mailed check. Check payments incur no processing fees.
- Returned checks incur an automatic $29.00 returned check fee.
- Cash Payment: Mailing of cash, even via secure couriers is strongly discouraged. The IFR will not be responsible for any cash lost when sent to our office.
For US Citizens: At this time, the Internal Revenue Services (IRS) does not allow non-university academic institutions to issue a 1098-T tax forms. Although students receive academic credit units through our partner universities, IFR students do not matriculate there and therefore, cannot receive 1098-T forms from Connecticut College or UCLA. The IFR, however, will be happy to issue a letter stating students participated in our field school(s) and an updated financial statement showing payment history. Contact email@example.com to request such documents.
529 Funds: All IFR field schools are accredited through our academic partner – Connecticut College. Therefore, all expenses associated with the field school –including tuition, air travel and miscellaneous expenses – are legitimate educational expenses and covered by 529 IRS rules. Students will get a letter grade on official transcripts at the end of the field school. A copy of the transcripts may be provided to the IRS as proof that the student attended a credit-bearing academic program.
For Canadian Citizens: The IFR will be delighted to complete Form TL11A for Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts Certificate – University Outside Canada. Please send the IFR your TF11A E form in a PDF format (email to firstname.lastname@example.org). We will send the completed form back, usually within 48 hours.
All other Nationalities: Please contact the IFR with questions about tax deduction possibilities in your home country.
Student Loans: One way to help fund the field school cost is through student loans. The best way to use this financial tool is to ask your home school to accept the loan on your behalf through a Consortium Agreement, and it is then your responsibility to forward these funds to the IFR. Such loans can go towards your Financial Aid package and disperse to the IFR by the school in which you matriculate. Go to the IFR Financial Aid page to read more.
Direct Payment of Federal/State Loans: The IFR itself cannot accept direct payment of federal/state student loans as we are not a university. Connecticut College cannot accept federal/state student loans on our behalf as students do not matriculate there.
Personal Loans: Your field school is an academic class that awards you with credit units from our partner university. Many banks will allow personal loans to finance such academic activities. The IFR can accept direct payment from banks, as long as they do not require the IFR to be the accredited institution. Make sure any funds transferred from your bank includes your name and the field school you plan to attend. This will help ensure funds will be credited correctly in our system.
* Travel and Trip Cancelation Insurance
Please consider purchasing a travel interruption insurance policy that will cover your travel cost and the cost of the IFR program once you make a commitment to attend a field school.